Possibly random thoughts of a oddly organized dba with a very short attention span

4.27.2010

quotes from Stockholm ...

I spent an afternoon at the Nobel Museum in Stockholm and found myself writing notes furiously at the very first exhibit.

"The mere formulation of a problem is often far more essential than it's solution, which may be merely a matter of mathematical or experimental skill. To raise a new question, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle requires creative imagination and marks the real advances in science."

--- Albert Einstein
Nobel Prize in Physics, 1921

"What makes science grow is new ideas, including false ideas."

--- Sir Karl Popper

"Every great scientific truth goes through three stages. First, people will say it conflicts with the bible. Next, they will say it had been discovered before. Lastly, they say they always believed it."

--- Louis Agassiz
1807 - 1873

And yes, I know I'm a geek for spending an afternoon in Stockholm and choosing to wander the Nobel Museum over all the other options. Go ahead ... give me hell about it but trust me, it's already been said :)

4 comments:

Ittichai Chammavanijakul said...

I always enjoy great quotes from great minds.

Some of my favorites from Edison at http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3091287.Thomas_A_Edison

Thanks for sharing.

Ittichai

Brian Tkatch said...

"Every great scientific truth goes through three stages. First, people will say it conflicts with the bible. Next, they will say it had been discovered before. Lastly, they say they always believed it."

Not only is that blasphemy, it's been said already, and most say they always believed it.

Robyn said...

Ittichai,

Thank you for the link to the Edison quotes. I like finding good quotes from someone else - many times, what I'd like to say has already been said better by someone else, in fewer words.

Case in point:

What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing, he knew nobody had said it before. - Mark Twain

cheers ... Robyn

Robyn said...

I don't want to do another post on the Nobel Museum just now but I found it to be an amazing place and I'm still a little in awe of it. I don't sign up for guided tours as I prefer to wander through new places and get a feel for them. This is true for both cities and museums as I like to explore and follow the things that catch my eye, rather than having someone tell me what I should be looking at.

(have already been sent pictures of the ADHD kitty and the stringy-thing, but thanks for thinking of me)

So my experience at the Nobel Museum was this: As I walked through reading about the challenges and accomplishments recognized by the Nobel prize, there are video clips and recordings of people talking. Sometimes it's the award winner themselves, sometimes it's someone else talking about the accomplishment or the award winner, but the result is a blending and an overlapping of all these astounding ideas and voices which left me with a sense of the concerted contributions of individuals over a great many years. It felt like a very big place but as I was leaving, I realized just how little square footage there was. The people behind the Nobel Museum have done a fantastic job of it but they also had very good material to work with.

Search This Blog

Loading...

My Blog List

disclaimer ...

The views expressed on this page are mine and do not reflect the opinions of my employer, former employers, other associates or the opinions I may hold 3 days from now.